With the 2019 travel year well underway, Expedia took a dive into data from 2018 to see where Canadians are travelling to this year.
Trends show Canadians are going further and off the beaten path, including “non-traditional lodging options like tentalows and tree houses.” Canadians are also embracing winter, skiing in parts of the world like Western Canada.
“While Toronto, Las Vegas and London remain top destinations, those seeing the biggest year-over-year growth are a bit further away.”Expedia Canada
Noteworthy trending destinations
- Germany: Frankfurt
- Portugal: Porto, Ponta Delgada, and Lisbon
- Vietnam: Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi
- Bahamas: Nassau
- Croatia: Zagreb and Split
- Spain: Malaga and the Canary Islands
- Australia: Melbourne
- Peru: Cusco
- Thailand: Phuket
Alternative accommodations gaining popularity
- Tentalows (cross between a tent and a bungalow) – up more than 95 percent year-over-year
- Agritourism properties – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Houseboats – up more than 35 percent year-over-year
- Tree houses – up more than 30 percent year-over-year
- Castles – up almost 30 percent year-over-year
- Chalets – up almost 25 percent year-over-year
- Fastest-growing category: Ski offerings and hitting the slopes in the Canadians Rockies. The spots such as Whistler, Banff and Lake Louise lead the pack when it comes to the top trending places to rent equipment and catch some fresh powder.
- Runner-up: Theme parks. Exploring popular theme parks such as Disney and Universal Studios both reigned top spots for Canadian travellers.
- Third place: Events and show experiences round out the top categories, as travellers look to experience Broadway plays in New York, or Cirque shows in Las Vegas.
Source: Expedia Canada