Travelling solo can be a daunting experience, but it can also be one that brings with it a lot of learning, self discovery, and challenge. Here are some top tips, from expert solo travellers.
- Plan it out! Check out my seven things to do before travelling. This includes making a Google Doc and mapping out your points of interest. This way, it’s easy to group together places into neighbourhoods, be efficient with your time, and tackle your favourites without too much travelling back and forth.
- As a techie, I like to stay connected. Get a roaming package—your home carrier will have day rates, or you can get a local SIM card if that’s not an option. Use social media to gain recommendations, and you’ll carry a network of friends to stay in touch should you feel lonely.
- You can travel cheap! Look into local dive bars and spots to try authentic, local eats. Plus, find locals to recommend other points of interest that you may not have found through your research. It’s often at restaurants that I find out where to really go.
- Join a free walking tour of the city that includes stops at local pubs and restaurants.
- Instead of trying to take selfies of yourself in front of must-see attractions, hire a local travelling photographer. They’re often not too expensive and you have a pro taking your photos. Plus, plan ahead and pack your favourite outfit and enjoy the spotlight for an hour. You won’t regret it, nor forget it!
- Lastly, if you’re a foodie and enjoy cooking authentic food, sign up for a cooking class. You will be sure to meet others and leave with great recipes for home that will always remind you of your solo travels.